Listed here are the teachings I realized.
This isn’t an exaggeration, this actually occurred. Let me provide you with some context: The $1.3 million was an funding test. The put up was a picture. The funding got here from somebody I’d by no means spoken to earlier than and had seen the put up and despatched me a DM. Since this occurred, I’ve had time to replicate on what made this potential, and there are some distinct classes, which I’ll share on this story.
However first, a bit of background. I run a startup (Stakester), we’re two years outdated, we’re in e-sports, so it’s a cool sector, and we’re experiencing some nice person development. I’ve simply over 7k connections on LinkedIn.
I wasn’t aiming to lift any cash at this stage; we’d simply closed a funding spherical. However we’re a startup, and the reality is we’re all the time elevating, simply possibly not formally. We’d dried up a bit of on the eye so I needed to get observed.
I’d realized a priceless lesson throughout our final funding spherical: that on the subject of getting cash, the chance for buyers to make a big return is every thing, so I wanted to seize their consideration with one thing that confirmed this.
With that in thoughts, right here had been the priorities;
- Present development.
- Present it’s occurring shortly.
- Get numerous folks to see it.
- Get numerous the proper folks to see it.
Right here’s how I did it:
- Decide a metric. Doesn’t actually matter which, so long as it’s significant and rising. Make this the spotlight of the put up. I made the picture a easy graph exhibiting a steep curve.
- Point out a timeframe within the put up that appears brief. The trick right here is to make use of a bigger time interval so it has a decrease quantity. So as an alternative of 4 weeks, 1 month. Half a yr, as an alternative of 6 months. It’s because the reader will see the quantity, not the interval.
- Hold all the information on LinkedIn — in case you want a hyperlink, put it within the feedback. LinkedIn prioritizes posts that maintain folks on the positioning. Additionally, add a related hashtag. TOP TIP: the image is prime actual property, however so is your first line, so make it attention-grabbing. Mine, “WARNING. HUGE BRAG BELOW,” was an invite to click on “learn extra.”
- That is the magic: If you happen to add somebody right into a put up, as persons are usually well mannered, they’ll nearly actually Prefer it. This implies it would present up on their feed. Subsequently, tag people who find themselves both within the sector you wish to attain, or related to folks which are. I tagged everybody who since beginning the enterprise has invested, or has raised funding themselves. As a result of all of them can have related networks.
Lesson 1 — Shapes Promote
It doesn’t matter what the graph reveals, simply the form of it. It provides an immediate emotional response. We see the Covid stats going up, we panic, we see them taking place, we loosen up. Will we take a look at the numbers and what they characterize? Hardly ever. It’s the identical right here, present a horny curve, persons are going to get excited.
Lesson 2 — Don’t Ask
The second you ask for cash, the tables flip, you lose the facility. As a substitute, make them come to you. Feed that FOMO and so they’ll begin reaching out.
Lesson 3 — Put in The Groundwork
The chance of 1 put up getting $1M is, properly, one in 1,000,000. I used to be extraordinarily fortunate, I do know this. However I made myself extra prone to be fortunate by placing within the groundwork first. I grew my LinkedIn neighborhood, I commented on different folks’s posts so they’re prone to reciprocate. Your profile could be the making of what you are promoting. Make investments time and vitality into rising it and your probabilities of being fortunate shall be exponentially elevated.
And at last, right here’s the put up.
A number of stats (on the level of elevating):
- 99 Likes
- 26 Feedback
- 9,866 Views
However these stats are largely meaningless.
The stats that matter:
- 5 chilly DMs from buyers
- 1 deal closed
- $1.3M raised
The way it began…
The way it completed…